Welcome to 2G
I am looking forward to having fun with you in September. It is normal to feel a bit nervous when things change, but you have no reason to feel worried about your new class. I want you to feel safe and happy at school and enjoy learning. I am here to help, so if there is anything that worries you, or you don't feel sure about something, have a chat with me and we will sort it out together. We're going to have a lot of fun in Year 2. A few examples of the things we learn include:-
- Learning about events such as The Great Fire of Newcastle and Gateshead, and about famous people like Florence Nightingale in History.
- Exploring colour mixing with paint in Art, and making our own printing tiles
- Dyeing materials and exploring decoration techniques to make a bauble for the Christmas tree in DT.
- Investigating hot and cold places around the world and learning about continents and oceans in Geography.
- Thinking scientifically to ask questions, plan experiments and use the results to draw conclusions as we explore plants, animals and materials in Science.
Welcome to you too!
I'm looking forward to working closely with you all to ensure that your child has the best possible Year 2 experience - we all want happy, secure children who thrive at school and feel loved and valued.
This is a key year, during which the children will complete national tests set by the government (KS1 SATs, and a Phonic Screen). At St Paul's, we set high expectations and encourage our children to work hard, and push themselves to achieve their best. My job is to make sure that the experience of working hard is fun, rewarding and that your children come home at the end of the day feeling proud of their efforts and achievements, and with clear ideas about how to improve and continue to make good progress.
If you have any worries or questions, no matter how small, do come and have a chat with me - I am usually available for a quick chat at the end of the school day. I am here to help, and am always happy to talk to you.
What do last year's children want to share with you?
Walter: I would say don't be worried 2G is the smartest class you've ever seen so don't be worried, everything is going to be alright.
Eliza: Don't be shy, the teachers are kind!
Sofia: I loved making Christmas baubles - it was so fun!
Ashly: I liked reading because it makes me spell my words properly and I like doing painting because it is so much fun.
Sahel: The teachers always help you.
Maddie: I know when I first started school I was worried about my letters and now I am great.
Maya: I liked the teachers because they took such good care of me.